Classic Apple Pie
Write a review
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 sticks (1 cup) of cold unsalted butter, cut into 16 pieces
- ½ cup ice water
- ½ cup of sugar (optional; used for a tart)
- 6 cups of peeled, thinly sliced apples (use medium size)
- ¾ cup of sugar (use less based on your preference)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg (optional to taste)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- In a food processor or a large bowl, mix together the flour and salt (if you only have salted butter, do not add additional salt).
- Add the butter pieces and pulse until the butter is the size of peas.
- Add the water while pulsing until the dough gathers up on the sides of the bowl.
- Flour a cutting board or work surface.
- Knead the dough into a ball, cut it in two, form each half into a disk.
- Wrap each in plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm (about 30 minutes)
- (Recommended: place the crust in the pan, press firmly against sides and bottom, poke with a fork, bake for 10 minutes then add filling)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Place 1 pie crust in ungreased 9-inch glass pie plate. Press firmly against the side and bottom
- In a large bowl, mix filling ingredients
- Pour into the crust-lined pie plate
- Top with second crust and press the edges firmly to the bottom crust
- Cut slits or shapes into the top crust
- Cover edge of crust with 2 inch wide foil strips
- Place pie on a baking sheet or foil to catch any over flow juices during baking
- Bake 40-45 minutes or until apples are soft and crust is golden brown
- Place on cooling rack at least 2 hours before serving
No Thyme To Cook http://nothymetocook.com/